BOTANICAL NAME- BOSWELLIA THURIFERA AND BOSWELLIA SERRATA INDIAN
FAMILY NAME- BURSERACEAE
COMMON NAME- OLIBANUM
PARTS USED- GUM AND RESIN
This oil has been researched for its ability to increase the hormonal growth and it is used in the hospitals all over Europe and America. The oil is mainly used for treating the skin problems.
Tree of frankincense is found in parts of India, southern Arabia as well as North Africa but it is native to Middle Eastern countries and Europe.Resins are produced only after 8 to 10 years of plantation of the tree. The resins are harvested only after examination of the soil and the climatic condition for its maximum production. The maximum harvest of resins is produced from the trees grown in southern Arabia. The harvesting of this tree begins in the month of January to march and then again from August to October.
It has over 25 species and this tree is considered highly precious also. This plant was introduced in Europe by the Frankish crusaders. Over 5000 years frankincense has been traded and the name if the tree was derived from a French name’ frank encens’ which means high quality incense.
The resin is distilled by the steam process or carbon dioxide. The extracted yield is about 3% and 10 %. The colour of the oil is light yellow and slightly green in colour and has viscous consistency and it has woody aroma.
COMMON KNOWN BENEFITS
- Frankincense was recorded to be used from as early as 1500 B.C. through the retrieved document. Earlier it was used by the physicians to treat several illness and disease. The oil is rich in many compounds which help in stimulating the brain, vital glands and the limbic system of our body. Ancient Egyptians used this for beauty treatment in the form of a face mask for glowing, spot free and beautiful skin.
- The oil contains many properties like disinfectant and antiseptic which is highly beneficial for healing of wounds, cuts, bruises and dry skin. It is diluted in the bathing water which helps in curing poor blood circulation, exhaustion and chilliness. Respiratory disorders like mucus, congestion, asthma, catarsh and bronchitis can be treated by the help of frankincense oil.
- The frankincense oil helps in fighting skin problems like such as acne, dermatitis, psoriasis and other such skin problems. The compound present in the oil helps in the production of white blood cells and it also helps in enhancing the immunity system for a healthy and active life.
- Studies by university of Maryland and by the Japanese researchers have determined that the oil has high anti- inflammatory properties due to the presence of boswellic acid which helps in the treatment of inflammation these days.
- Visible marks caused by boils, acne and stretch marks can be treated by the use if this frankincense oil as it helps in reducing the visible scars by making the skin spot free, supple, glowing and beautiful. Use of this oil is healthy for the nervous system because of its sedative property.