BOTANICAL NAME: PELARGONIUM ODORONTISSIMUM
The Geranium oil is one of the most expensive oil in its family. Its medicinal and healing properties were discovered by the scientists of Germany.
In the 17th century this plant was introduced to many European countries like Italy, Spain and France. It was originally cultivated in South Africa as well as Madagascar.This plant has many species. It has almost 700 species and out of those 700 species there are only 10 valuable species which can be used in the extraction of the oil. The Geranium cannot produce enough oil to be extracted in a normal garden.
This perennial shrub can almost grow up to a height of 3 feet high and has a hairy appearance and often hedgerows. The leaf of the plant has pink white flowers and has pointed serrated ends. It is said to ward off any evil spirit and thus it is used as a spiritual tool. It has been in use since the ancient times.
Steam distillation process is used in the extraction of the oil. The leaves and stalk of the plant are used in the process for the oil's extraction as with all other essential oils.
COMMONLY KNOWN BENEFITS
- It helps in the treatment of skin conditions such as acne, burns, bruises, dermatitis, cuts, eczema, lice and hemorroids also acts as a mosquito repellent and thus has a vast list of uses. Other skin disorder like the ringworm is also cured by using this oil.
- Apart from these there are many other diseases which it can heal such as ulcers, eczema, poor circulation, breast engorgement, sore throat, tonsillitis, PMS, menopausal problems, stress and neuralgia.
- It has a very soothing effect on our mind and it helps in balancing the mind, thus it is also used in aromatherapy. It is also extremely beneficial for skin and creates a healthy balance between oily and dry skin textures.
- It helps in normal functioning of mind as it helps the mind in getting rid of the stress and other negative feeling or any such mental condition which effects the proper functioning of the brain. It also balances hormone system.
- It is extensively used in aromatherapy as it has a very fresh mind soothing fragrance. This oil helps in creating a balance between mind and all the emotions which can disturb our mind. It also helps in healing the wounds naturally and also keeps the skin soft and supple by enhancing the production of sebum in the skin.
- It’s easy to blend this oil with many other essential oil in order to create a wonderful room freshener. On the other hand it is used as an insect repellent too. It is often embodied with many perfumes in order to increase their scent due to its very rich fragrance. Due to its therapeutic properties it also assists in physical and mental well-being. It also helps to heal the problems related to brain such as headaches, restlessness and many other such problems.